Two recent high profile events celebrated the importance of historic preservation in our community. The first celebrated the architectural design detail of mid-century and the other the preservation and rehabilitation of a residential structure in a moving way.
The first event was on Saturday December 1st out front of the Orange County History Center with the unveiling of a portion of the brise soleil that adorned the round building that was once where the new Dr. Phillips performing Arts center now stands. The ceremony was presided by John Kaiser of Designage. In attendance were civic officials and leaders, members from Nils Schweitzer Modern Group, and the many partners who donated services and materials.
The second event was the relocation of the 1921 structure that once stood on the corner of Broadway Ave and Ridgewood Street in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood. It was moved two blocks north and east to the corner of E. Livingston St and Cathcart Ave. While there had been some controversy of its inclusion as a contributing structure in the local Lake Eola Heights Historic District it is a contributing structure in the Lake Eola Heights National Register District.
Many residents, who patiently endured the utility outages and traffic disruption, as well as media watched as the large structure made its way through the neighborhood to its new home. The new site which had a rear structure was able to accommodate the home as it had never been fully developed. The vacated site is planned for a 5-unit condominium development.